In the age of digitization, secure and efficient identity management systems are of utmost necessity. This is particularly true in sectors such as education and government, where multiple entities like school districts or state departments require access to a centralized system like PeopleSoft. These entities often have their own identity directory services on various platforms like Microsoft Azure AD or Google Workspace. The challenge lies in ensuring seamless integration to allow each tenant to use their own identity directory service while accessing the centrally managed PeopleSoft system. A strategic solution to this issue is deploying multi-tenant single sign-on (SSO) functionality, facilitated by tools such as the Datawiza Access Proxy (DAP).
Understanding Multi-Tenant SSO
Multi-tenant SSO is designed for scenarios where multiple distinct entities (tenants) need access to a common set of systems or resources. The primary aim is simple – to authenticate users from each tenant only once (single sign-on) using their own identity directory service, and then provide access to the shared platform, in this case, Peoplesoft. How is this carried out in practice, especially with the implementation of DAP for Peoplesoft? Let’s understand this further.
Implementing Multi-Tenant SSO for PeopleSoft with Datawiza Access Proxy
Although PeopleSoft does not natively support multi-tenant SSO, this functionality is made possible with the DAP. Datawiza operates as an intermediary entity between PeopleSoft and countless identity providers (IdPs) from different tenants.
Here’s a step-by-step overview of the process:
- Access Request: A user initiates access to the PeopleSoft application shielded by the DAP.
- Domain Capturing: Datawiza collects the user’s domain information and identifies the correct IdP.
- Authentication: The user is subsequently redirected to their respective IdP for authentication.
- Successful Authentication: Upon successful authentication, the user is redirected back to Datawiza, which forms a special HTTP header comprehensible by PeopleSoft.
- Access Granted: Finally, the user can access PeopleSoft.
The powerful capabilities of DAP streamline this integration process and maintain authentications from various identity directories under one roof. For a more detailed exploration, we have created a demo video that provides a walkthrough of the process.
Embracing the Benefits of Multi-tenant PeopleSoft SSO
The application of Datawiza and multi-tenant SSO in Peoplesoft opens up an array of advantages:
- Simplified User Management: The system simplifies user management by enabling reliance on each tenant’s identity directory service, slashing the administrative overhead of managing multiple user databases.
- Improved Security: Multi-tenant SSO reduces potential attack vectors by minimizing password usage, thereby deescalating the likelihood of successful phishing attempts.
- Enhanced User experience: Users can now access Peoplesoft using credentials they use daily, eliminating the need to remember multiple passwords.
In the era of digital transformation where the call for efficiency and security in accessing shared resources has never been higher, a forward-thinking solution like multi-tenant SSO no longer merely remains an option, rather it establishes itself as an essential element of modern IT strategy.